Community STEaM Day & Book Launch
aSTEAM Village NSBE Jr. Chapter on Saturday, Oct. 7 will sponsor Community STEaM Day and Book Signing to continue efforts to inspire students and families to pursue education and career pathways in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM), through community-based project learning and innovative programs. The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at aSTEAM Village located on the St. Monica’s Parish Campus, 1600 the Paseo Blvd.
The event is free and open to the public. The Community STEaM Day and Book Signing will include:
- Dr. H2O — Dr. H2O (AKA: Wilbur Dunnell) is the super hero of science and a master at artfully explaining the exciting science of water quality. Dunnell has been conducting water quality science lessons in classrooms for almost a decade, and recently made a stop at FOX 4 Morning News to talk about National Drinking Water Week.
- KC DigiStory — The Digital Storytelling Center of Kansas City (digiSTORY KC) provides workshops and other educational resources to advance digital media skills for those who wish to tell their stories through the fascinating capabilities of digital media. Through our KCdigiKids program we promote digital literacy for kids in the urban core through experiential, hands-on learning activities that will encourage them to pursue rewarding careers in STEM/STEAM occupations.
- Microsoft — The Microsoft Store at Oak Park Mall will be bringing its suite of virtual reality products and teaching a computer coding workshop to students.
- H3TV — “Rappin” Roy Scott is one-half of the influential dynamic duo H3TV from Kansas City. The two young entrepreneurs came together to develop an innovative program that carries a mission to empower young audiences to make positive changes to their everyday lives. H3TV has created a new genre of children’s music titled H3 “Healthy Hip Hop!” Also using spoken word, and live action entertainment to reach their viewers on both a national, and international scale.
- A book discussion/signing by Royale Boy Blue, also known as Madden Tanner, who will be releasing his second book titled Royale Boy Blue Becomes a Master Builder and Lewis Diuguid, a former longtime columnist with The Kansas City Star, whose third book is Our Fathers: Making Black Men.
The Facebook Event Link is: https://www.facebook.com/events/492696681077451/